Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Don't Ask Questions

     I'm sure that many of you like to know what kind of day your kids had at school.  I know that I do.  However, every day as they pile into the car, I'm shut down each time as I ask each of them, "How was your day?"

     Okay.  I'll be honest.  I don't just ask that one question.  It's  more like, "How was your day?  Was it good?  What did you do?  What did you learn?  Who did you hang out with?"  They usually respond with something similar to, "Fine.  My day was fine", and answer the rest of the questions with a sigh and an eye roll and that's the end of that conversation.  I didn't think that this would have started until they were in high school, or at least jr. high, but apparently I was wrong.

     It doesn't stop me from asking anyway.  Usually, Reese is the first one to the car.  Yesterday, he gets in and, well, those of you who know Reese shouldn't be too surprised at how the conversation unfolded:

Me:  Hey!  (noticing that he wasn't wearing his sweater).  Where's your sweater?

Reese:  It's in my backpack.  I don't need it.

Me:  It's windy and cold.

Reese:  Well, that's YOUR opinion.  

Dude.  It's 60° outside.  It's also windy.  It's cold to ME.  As much as I don't want to admit it, he's right.  

Me:  How was school, or do you not want me asking you that?

Reese:  I don't like it when people ask me a lot of questions.

Me:  Why?

Reese:  Because it's annoying and the conversation gets out of hand.

     Once again, he's right, because it does get out of hand.  It starts out with me just asking simple questions, then escalates into a discussion about why none of them want to answer anything else I have to ask.  I think I might be asking too many.  I certainly didn't expect this from my 10, 9, & 5 year old children, yet here I am.  I guess I'm that mom. 

     Does this get better, or is it a situation that's going to get worse before it starts to improve?  It appears that the only one who tolerates me is the little one.  She will chatter away to me all day long and is happy doing it.  

     So, I have two choices:  1: Keep asking questions anyway.  2:  Don't ask, thus possibly making myself appear like I don't care.  I could always wait until they say something to me first.  Most of the time though, that "first" thing I hear is a smart ass comment from Reese (and from what I understand, is a favorite among Reese fans).  

     I guess my lesson is:  Don't ask so many questions, mom.     
      





No comments:

Post a Comment